Non-Commercial Organisation MEMBER APPLICATION
NCO MEMBERS RECEIVE:
- Membership for your organisation and its full time staff, who can also be listed in the Professional Designer or Professional Member categories if they meet the criteria for those categories, and receive the same benefits as those categories
- Access to all training sessions we organise, and receive travel assistance if applicable
- Access to our online seminar archive of past training sessions
- Access to all our social events
- Access our private email discussion forum and closed Facebook group
- Receive our printed magazine The Echo
- Receive our monthly e-newsletter The Herald with news relevant to the sound community
- 25% off premium Mandy (previously known as Stage Jobs Pro membership
- £10 million Public Liability and £1 million Professional Indemnity Insurance for freelance work outside your normal employment.
- 30 free sound effect downloads (worth $150) of your choosing from Pro Sound Effects, and 20% off libraries and licenses you purchase through them (excludes Hybrid Libraries)
- Access to our ASD Benefits scheme
This category is open to all non-commercial organisations working in the theatre sound industry, to include educational institutes, theatre sound departments and other professional associations.
PUBLIC LIABILITY INSURANCE - £10 MILLION COVERAGE
PROFESSIONAL INDEMNITY INSURANCE - £1 MILLION COVERAGE
Provided by Hencilla Canworth. This policy provides cover for individuals who have joined under an NCO membership for freelance work they do outside their normal employment. The policy covers "The members occupation as a sound designer or sound engineer including the design, installation, preparation and operation of sound systems, the recording of sound effects, the teaching or mentoring of these activities and a manager or technician in the theatre, entertainment and conference industries". There are no restrictions on working at height. To receive this benefit you will need to register separately for it after joining the ASD.
The policy runs from 1st September - 31st August. If you do not renew your membership your insurance cover will also lapse.
Full policy details
Key Facts document
If you are a UK-based ASD member living more than 50 miles from where the ASD are holding a training session, the ASD may pay part of your travel costs to get you there. NCO members may receive 33% of the cost of the price paid for rail travel, up to the cost of 33% of a standard saver return rail fare. If you travel by means other than train, you can submit relevant receipts, but the maximums above will still apply. The scheme does not apply to seminars run at trade shows, i.e. PLASA, ABTT, etc, to seminars run by our members, or to social events. Click here for more details.
PRO SOUND EFFECTS
Pro Sound Effects are pleased to offer ASD members 30 free downloads (worth $150) from their online library of over 215,000 sounds, collected from libraries such as BBC, Blastwave FX, Boom Library, Sonopedia and Soundrangers. And a 20% discount on libraries or licenses you wish to purchase (excludes Hybrid Library). Please note the 30 free downloads are a once-only offer rather than refreshing annually.
In conjunction with Parliament Hill, we are offering a range of benefits and discounts to our members, including discounts on Apple products, car hire, hotel rooms, travel insurance and a range of other products.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Our terms, conditions and code of conduct are outlined here. You will be asked to agree to them when you join. The ASD withholds the right to vary or withdraw any of these services at any time, without notice.
DURATION OF MEMBERSHIP & FEES
The membership year runs from September 1st to August 31st.
The fees due per annum for NCO Membership are £150.
If you join in September or October, you will be charged the full rate to carry your membership through to the following September 1st. If you join between November and August, your membership fee will be calculated pro-rata until the following September 1st.
The cost of ASD membership may be tax deductible as a professional subscription.
Your membership will automatically renew each year, and you will be asked to sign up for recurring payments. You will be invoiced automatically at the start of the next membership year. If you wish to pay by another method, or to cancel your membership please contact us at any time.
THE JOINING PROCESS
You can apply to join at the bottom of this page where you will be taken to our member portal website.
You will be asked to fill out your personal information which will form your public profile in our published directories. You'll be asked to agree to our terms, conditions and code of conduct. Then your payment will be processed.
Your access to the website will then be activated, and within 48 hours you will be added to the email forum. You will be able to join our closed Facebook group.
Once your membership has been activated, you'll be emailed instructions on how you can add other members of your organisation.